Are you Prepared for the EPA's #1 Clean Water Initiative?

Phosphate By the Numbers:

1 million+ – the anticipated dollar amount companies can expect to spend to remove phosphorus
893 – major treatment facilities with limits for phosphorus
30 – types of phosphorus species that can be present in your waste stream
27– the number of states currently regulating your waste stream
10 – the number of years until all 50 states will regulate your waste stream
0.1 – mg/L total phosphorus that can be achieved with AquaPure chemistry

The Old & The New

Whether it is a tried and true method of removing phosphorus or something a little more innovative – AquaPure® experts can help you determine which process approach is best for your business.

The Old

Historically there have been 3 ways to treat phosphorus in waste streams: Iron and aluminum based compounds for precipitation.  While they can be cost effective methods, they also require high doses because the level of molecular connectivity is low. In addition, they produce large quantities of sludge which is difficult and expensive to dispose of.  The third way is bioaugmentation which reduces sludge.  Specific training is needed to run the equipment for this treatment method.

The New

On the cutting edge of treating waste water streams is rare earth elements.  These provide a 1 to 1 atomic relationship with the phosphorus and also produce less sludge.  Rare earth chemistry offers low dose rates, high removal capacity, with a friendly pH of 3-4 and a safe working environment.  Additionally, there is no capital expenditure costs associated with rare earth chemistry.

Phosphorus Facts

Phosphorus Facts

  •  Phosphorus is the 15th element
  •  It is essential to all life with the average human body containing 26.5 ounces
  •  POTWs only remove 40% of phosphorus sent to them with the remaining 60% going into the environment

What impact is the use of phosphates having on the discharge from my finishing operation?

Find Out