Do you have a passion for chemistry – driven to enhance existing and envision new products?
Are you driven by a desire to research and develop technical solutions that meet and exceed, customer expectations?
Would you like to join a family-owned business with a highly collegial/collaborative work culture?
If so, Hubbard Hall a well-established chemical manufacturer in Waterbury, CT, has an exciting opening for a dynamic, innovative and experienced Senior Chemist. The person hired for this position can work either in their headquarters in Waterbury or their facility in Inman, SC.
Reporting to the Senior Vice President/Technical Director, you would be responsible for researching and developing projects and technical manufacturing projects; providing analytical support, and quality assurance for technical projects, as well as technical service to existing and potential customers.
- Formulate product prototypes and evaluate them for chemical and physical properties, performance, and stability in cleaning, hard surface metal cleaning and coloring, mass finishing compounds, corrosion inhibitors paint strippers, organic film stripping, conversion coatings – pre-paint based coatings and waste water treatment chemistries.
- Develop, improve, and customize products, equipment, formulas, processes, and analytical methods and improve current formulations of products, i.e. cleaners, lubricants and plating brighteners when needed. Taking 4-5 chemistries and converting them into a new product.
- Analyze competitive products, product performance, testing raw materials and finished products and reverse engineer competitive products to build better products.
- Approval and testing of alternative raw materials for resale and evaluate lower cost alternatives for raw materials.
- Develop new formulations for cleaning and metal finishing applications and markets as specified by product managers.
- Establish product specifications and procedures as required for R & D projects.
- Obtain process technology and equipment information for production.
- Obtain data and information required for regulatory submissions and patent applications.
- Support technical service for operations and customers. Answer technical questions.
- Write technical papers and reports; and prepare standards and specifications for processes, facilities, products, and tests.
- Assign hazardous storage codes and tariff codes and NAFTA documents.
- Keep current with technical developments and product innovation in our present product lines and evaluate technology and new opportunities in potential new markets.
- Assist manufacturing on the scale-up and production of new and improved products/determine parameters for and disposal of slow moving off-spec materials.
- Assist with product line management and consolidation. Determine parameters for rework and disposal of slow moving and off-spec materials.
- Promote and support the elements and principles of the ISO and RDP Quality Management Systems. Recommend and provide solutions, verify the implementation of such solutions and maintain required record systems.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- A minimum of a BS degree in natural, chemical or physical science. Advanced training or degrees (e.g., M.S., MBA or Ph.D.) in marketing, business administration and the sciences would be advantageous.
- 10 + years of research and development experience.
- Conversion coating experience.
- Solid computer competency in common software programs employed in the fields of natural and physical science, and statistical process control.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, as well as listening skills.
- Self-motivated and able to work with limited supervision.
- Curious and eager to learn, improve, and develop new products.
- Highly collaborative: functions well in a team-oriented environment.
- Possesses exceptional organizational skills and is an effective time manager and multi-tasker.
- Able to prioritize work and meet deadlines.
- Able to pay close attention to detail.
- High level of integrity with a respect for others.
- Professional demeanor.
- Good sense of humor.